School often involves plenty of aspects, including studying, attending lectures, and doing exams. However, one instrumental aspect of earning that very few people talk about involves taking notes. Note-taking proves crucial as a skill when it comes to excelling in schoolwork. You not only get a boost when taking tests but also when researching for academic paper writing. So what should you pay attention to when it comes to taking notes?
Guidelines to Effective Note-Taking
- Write all the crucial facts. It becomes simpler whenever your instructors write their notes on a board, though you have to ensure that you copy as many notes as possible during a lecture or class. In instances where you cannot copy all the notes, try and note down the key points around concepts. Such aspects can entail crucial dates in a history lesson covering the civil war, etc. While it may take a while to get such key facts and main ideas from a lecture, it becomes crucial to maintain patience and keenness.
- Avoid overdoing it. It becomes prudent to avoid going crazy in taking notes of everything the instructor says or writes. Additionally, by keenly focusing on your notetaking, you can easily miss out on digesting pertinent concepts, as the professor explains. You might get surprised that you can learn more by listening rather than notetaking. Therefore, listen and only write key points to help you re-jog your memory when studying.
- Ask. It also proves crucial to ask your instructors to repeat aspects you have missed, especially when the instructor moves too fast. If you feel uncomfortable asking in class, you can approach them after class to clarify and avoid gaps in your information.
- Compare. It becomes crucial always to have your notes at hand when reading your assignments. Compare the information you have with what you read to determine if there exist any discrepancies. In instances where some information lacks, it can become wise to write them down. Try and do the same with a study friend to ascertain your information and reinforce the concepts already learned.
- Copy. Scribbling notes in a class setup can lead to unreadable text because of the rush. However, it becomes essential to copy the notes afresh into legible handwriting when you settle back at home. The exercise will also help you learn and reinforce concepts learned.
- Organize. It becomes crucial to keep each subjects notes in a single place to help you retrieve them when necessary. It can imply keeping them in a specific notebook or maybe a notebook’s section. Students sometimes combine techniques when taking notes and copying them. They may have a single notebook for notetaking all subjects in class before copying each subject’s notes in a distinct notebook while at home.
Excellent notetaking often takes time, but instead of proving a deterrent, it should encourage you owing to the benefit of undertaking such a process. You can save time when revising and studying for the exam by copying your notes earlier.
Note-taking will help your mind digest and absorb relevant information, leading to better performance in exams. Therefore, take it seriously.